It is a simple procedure that can be easily mastered. Follow these steps:
1. Exfoliate. Use a washcloth to exfoliate the skin prior to applying a self- tanner. Use an exfoliating product that is non- oily and spend a little more time exfoliating the thickest body areas, such as the elbows, knees and ankles.
2. Dry your skin. Dry your skin before you apply the self- tanner.
3. Apply the self- tanner is sections such as the legs, hands, torso.
4. Apply with a mitt to avoid staining your palms, or otherwise wash palms after application of product to each section.
5. To protect the thickest areas, it is best to apply a moisturizer as ‘barrier cream’ on the elbows, knees and ankles to protect them from absorbing color unevenly.
6. Less is more on the wrists, hands and ankles. Always use whatever little is on the mitt as a finishing stroke over hands and feet. Always blend well at the wrists and legs.
7. Apply sparingly on the face and neck.
8. Remember, hands and the face will fade first as these are the most washed areas.
9. Give your skin time to dry. It is best to wait about 10 minutes before dressing up. For the next 6-8 hours it is best to avoid sweating and wear loose dark clothing.
10. Apply sunscreen every day. Use a broad- spectrum protection sunscreen (UVA/UVB), an SPF 30 or higher that is water resistant.